Friday, July 20, 2012

Honda Bravo After 3 Years

I skipped the 2nd year review of my Honda Bravo which is enough reason for me to write its 3rd year review.

As of August, 2012


Brakes and Suspension
The puny little bike is now sporting a front disc brake for more stopping power.  Although it will be much better for me not to ride too fast, I don't think I would be able to overcome the habit.  Prior to the conversion, I've changed the front and rear brake shoes once.
Disc brake caliper requires mounting holes on the fork and so I bought a 2nd hand set that came from a China bike.  Took me some time before I was able to tune the suspension.  Rear damping is still stock.

Rims and Tires
It is still the same wheel size 1.4 x 17 front and 1.6 x 17 rear but the tires are now back to stock.  I found out that the bike consume more gas on thicker (rear) tires.  So it is 2.25 x 17 front and 2.5 x 17 rear for the rubbers.

Electricals
I am using OSRAM 35W bulb which costs around 200Php in my area.  It is well worth the money.  I've changed the headlight socket several times, though.  I don't know where these stuffs are coming from because they break quite easily.
I have also converted the panel light to LED (DC) .  Stock was a peanut bulb driven by the alternator (AC.)  It is only a single bulb by the way the lights the whole thing up.  The tail light voltage has been rectified for future conversion to LED.
The battery is still stock.  Kudos to Honda for qualifying a component like this in their MCs and Yuasa for providing such an excellent product.  Can you imagine 3 years and I am still able to use the push start button!!

Engine
I can see some dark spots in the cylinder block indicating oil leakage.  I am not worried  as long as the concrete where the motorcycle sleeps is dry of oil which is the case so far.  I've changed the engine and rear sprockets several times to experiment speed and acceleration.  Right now it is back to 14/36 stock.  Drive chain has been replaced once being too noisy to DID 428.

For three years, this little motorcycle has proven its worth over and over again.   Reliability is simply bulletproof.  Maintenance cost is minimum while gas consumption is frugal.  Still gets 45-55 km/L depending on how I ride it but 50km/L average isn't something to complain about.


Additional Mods
1. Honda Wave 100R OEM shocks - much better ( P500 2nd hand )
2. Honda Wave pillion foot rests. - stock foot rest sawed off ( P500 2nd hand )
3. Honda XRM 110 exhaust pipe - thicker sound ( P1k 2nd hand )
4. 53mm block - more torque ( P1.6k + P200 shipping )
5. TMX 155 carburetor - ( P2k )
As of September, 2012




Honda Bravo After A Year

No comments:

Post a Comment