Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Honda Bravo Fork Oil Replacement (1)

I had an unfortunate accident back in 2009 that resulted to a sprained wrist and bent motorcycle forks.  That time I have no idea about repairs so instead of buying replacement forks, I had the fork tubes removed from the sliders to have it straightened in a local machine shop.

After they are nice and straight, the fork is then reassembled.  The mechanic used 2T oil instead of fork which is not a good idea.  The problem really is, here in the Philppines, it is quite hard to get fork oil for some reason.  Mechanics and DIYers have to make do with what is readily available with disappointing results. If I remember correctly, the 2T oil lasted only a few hundred kilometers before it started to leak.  Also the ride quality is not so good being on the harsher side.  I thought back then that I can fix the problem by tuning it.
I did some research in the internet and came to the conclusion that perhaps the mechanic put so much oil into the fork.  In the days and weeks that followed, I experimented with different amounts of 2T oil, 50mL, 60ml...so on but I was never happy.  So I ditch 2T oil and then searched for alternatives.
I found out that some people are using ATF instead.  Same experiments repeated again with disappointing results.  I then headed to Caloocan city which is probably the motorcycle parts and supplies capital of the Philippines.

I was able to find a shop that sells fork oil but only after trying a number of other shops.  That oil is really hard to find, indeed!  I bought a 500ml bottle of Repsol Horquillas in a Suzuki dealer store.
The performance is really different from the previous fluids I've tried.  I know I'm no expert but it felt like nothing happened to the forks because it feels like stock.
Lately, I converted the front drum to disc brakes.  No choice but to replace the front forks with the type that can hold a disc brake caliper.  I was able to find a used one from an internet seller.  Although it is not a Honda original, it was a plug and play affair when I tried it on my Bravo.  It didn't take long before I decided that I would re-tune the suspension.
I found that it was 2T oil that was inside forks because of the smell.  Not only that, it was lot of oil that was poured into the tube which explains the harsh ride.  The problem is, the old  Repsol which I bought earlier has been used up.  Fortunately, after scouring a city and 3 towns, I was able to find a shop that sells Phoenix fork oil in Sto. Tomas, Batangas.
After some trial and error, I settled with 70mL on each leg.



No comments:

Post a Comment