Monday, September 13, 2010

The Rider's GPS

I bought a GPS unit at Circuit City in California when my previous company sent me to the US for a training.  Regular price was $150 but the sale price was reduced to $100.  Not a bad deal plus the fact that I really like to own one.  Another thing is that the rental car I used while I was there is GPS equipped and I found it really cool.

my gps resize

The unit a bought is a handheld Magellan GPS.  Not much help if you're on the road because the default map is very basic.  If I want a detailed map, I would need to shell out some cash.  It also unfortunate that the default map with main roads and points of interests are in the US.  The map of the whole world is there but is not very defined especially the coastal areas.  As an example, when you're on a seashore, the GPS would indicate that you're actually in the water but in actual, you are a good 10 meters away from getting wet.

So what do I use this gadget for?

Well I use my GPS when I do long rides.  With a printed map, it is a good tool to show where you are.  GPS units usually plots your location every second or depending on how you set it to update.  Comparing the map and the GPS track, you'll know if you made a wrong turn, etc.

This unit is also good if you're trekking.  I live at the foot of a mountain called Makulot.   Me and my son would do a climb whenever there's a chance.  We can then be a bit adventurous by not following the trail without fear of getting lost.  It is quite easy to do trackback.

This unit is powered using two AA batteries.  In my case, I bought 2500 mAh rechargeables.  Battery life is about 6 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment