Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Solo Rider's pre-Ride Check

So what needs to be checked before hitting the road for that once in a lifetime ride?

This is my personal (ideal) list but if you think something needs to be added, feel free to drop me a message.

I usually start with the goal. If I wanted to go to a particular place, I would first do a research about it. Google is my friend. I would dig the web for ride reports, travel destinations, etc. I would list down the towns that I will be passing along the way, places of interest, road and traffic conditions as well as gas stations and of course places where I can eat and rest. Afterwards, I would plan on the itinerary. A map is a must!

The next thing I would prepare is the motorcycle. Normally, I start with the tire. Most often than not and especially for long rides, buying a new rubber is the best option. When you're hundreds or thousands of miles away from home, having a flat tire should be the least of you're worries. New tires would give you added peace of mind but that doesn't mean you shouldn't prepare for the worst. I also check the chain looseness and lubrication, brake adjustment and all lights should be functional. I always carry spares with me such as inner tube, plug, bulbs and even spare chain on long rides. Aside from this, I also bring tools inside bike's compartment. Although probably not really a must, I would normally change the engine oil as well.

After the bike is ready, I would then prepare the stuffs I need such as things for personal hygiene, first aid kit, rain gears, etc. Don't forget to bring cellphone/s. More ways for contact, the better. Cash is also better than cards and of course, you should have enough. Bring something to identify you, something that cannot be taken so easily in case something really bad happens.

And last but not in any way the least, if you're like me...pray before you leave.

Ride safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment